Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Adam Hughes




I chose Adam Hughes as my favorite illustrator to write about because of his portrayal of hair and fabric in particular. The way he makes capes, flags, long hair, even some short hair, seem so weightless and flowing is so alluring, and they way that he makes it so your eye follows them all around the page, never quite leading you off. Even his simple line work and sketches are beautiful to me, showing his knowledge of anatomy and how a person looks relaxed versus stiff, and what they're wearing falls upon them. I have not much to say about his color choices, because drawing pre-existing characters is difficult to have your own take on, since you have to stick to the tradition, but I will say how he shades things, and shows direction of light is so amazing to me, using heavy dark and showing the roundness of muscles, fabric, an object and how it casts a shadow is great. Adam Hughes is mainly known for his pin-up style versions of popular comic book characters, and I think they are fantastic, because something I have noticed in the comic book world, a character can be absolutely stunning, sexy, beautiful, whatever, without showing an inch of their skin. The way he shows how a costume that is probably made of latex or spandex or tough material, wrap around a part of the body is so beautiful, and the way he can show weight, and balance. Although I don't always agree with his choice of how women in the comic universe always being the ideal figure and large bust, I will say he does a decent job of making it look not too ridiculous, and sort of possible to be those dimensions. Like making the character well balanced enough all around the body so that it doesn't look like the character will break in half or just fall over. He has a great sense of perspective as well. No boring images.
He is an artist for DC comics, Marvel, Dark Horse and many others.
-Harley

No comments:

Post a Comment